It’s important that the home or business owner carries out regular checks on any concrete and asphalt areas around their property and takes any necessary steps to prepare for severe weather events.
What checks should be performed?
Suburban Earthworks suggest that the following checks should be carried out at least once per year on any residential or commercial property to prepare for severe weather events:
- Checking surfaces for cracks. It is really important to inspect your concrete or asphalt for any cracks. Even a small crack in concrete can lead to further damage and should be assessed. On top of this, cracks can pose a hazard, potentially causing trips and falls of visitors and customers. A single crack in concrete can cause water to enter the concrete during a rain event, which can cause damage to the reinforcing steel and mould growth. Cracks in concrete and asphalt can be unsafe and are often unsightly.
- Checking drainage issues. This is particularly important when we consider the level of rainfall Canterbury has experienced in the last 12 months. If a concrete or asphalt area/driveway does have drainage issues and a severe rain weather event occurs, water could pool on the surface creating a hazard, or the water could run in an undesirable direction causing damage to property. Drainage issues may include blocked drainage channels, or even no drainage channels at all.
- Channel installation. If you check your patio/driveway or other concrete/asphalt surface and discover there is no drainage system in place, you might consider installing drainage channels. Wherever the water pools, a sloping channel can be cut out and filled with gravel. Another option is to install a metal drainage channel that allows water to pass through but keeps out debris to prevent clogging.
- Pothole & crack repair. Any cracks or potholes will certainly get worse should a severe weather event occur. It is best to remedy these issues as soon as possible to prevent costly repair bills.
- Porous/permeable concrete/asphalt/paving. If you are installing a new driveway/patio/concrete area you could consider using porous concrete or asphalt. These systems allow water to be absorbed into the concrete or asphalt surface which prevents pooling and run off altogether.
What do you do if you discover a problem?
Suburban Earthworks offer a complete range of concrete and asphalt repair and restoration solutions. Our team of specialists are experts in concrete and asphalt repair and replacement, we can effectively diagnose your problems and find cost effective and long lasting solutions. We offer completely free and no obligation onsite consultations. If you would like a free consultation and quote please Contact us.